70022 Hurricane Mk I Navy Colours - Model Kit!
- Manufacturer: Arma Hobby
Delivery time: 1-3 days
- Type: Aeroplane model kit
- Medium: plastic
- Scale: 1/72
Hawker Hurricane Mk I / Sea Hurricane Mk Ia in British naval colours; 1/72 scale model kit.
Buy together to pay less
Hawker Hurricane Mk I / Sea Hurricane Mk Ia fighter aeroplane model kit 1/72 scale - in navy colours
- Plastic parts
- Techmod decals - 3 markings options
Masks – template for making them yourself from masking tape
- Hawker Hurricane Mk I, V7421/W-2D, 760 Squadron FAA, part of the Naval Air Fighter School based at RNAS Yeovilton, Summer 1942. Aeroplane heavily weathered, the engine cowlings still appear to be painted in the original Temperate Land Scheme. See photos on http://armahobbynews.pl/en/
- Hawker Hurricane Mk I, P3090/W-8E. , 760 Squadron FAA, part of the Naval Air Fighter School based at RNAS Yeovilton, Summer 1942. Aeroplane was heavily weathered, see photos on http://armahobbynews.pl/en/
- Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk Ia, P2826/N, 318 Polish Squadron, Detling 1943. After service with the MSFU on CAM Ship`s, the aeroplane was transferred to this new Polish Squadron for training purposes. Aeroplane remains in Temperate Sea Scheme camouflage.
Hurricane and Sea Hurricane Mk I
At the beginning of the Second World War, the Fleet Air Arm (FAA), the British Royal Navy's aviation did not have a decent fighter aircraft fitted to securing fleet operations. The main challenges of the Royal Navy were to maintain maritime communication to North America and North Africa and further to India and Australia. Convoys of merchant ships were marauded by Luftwaffe long range aeroplanes.
A temporary solution to these problems was the introduction of the Hawker Hurricane Mk I aircraft, to the aircraft carriers and modified merchant ships and training units. Subsequent versions were modified:
- Sea Hurricane Mk Ia - also know as “Hurricat”, was usually converted from ex RAF Hurricane MkI`s with several naval modifications added, including catapult spools and a naval radio. These fighters were flown from Fighter Catapult Ships by 804 Naval Air Squadron of the Fleet Air Arm and by the RAF`s Merchant Ship Fighter Unit aboard CAM Ships. Modified Hurricane aircraft was launched during an air attack on the convoy and after completing the task, the pilot bailed out by parachute over the convoy to hopefully be rescued or he flew off toward the nearest land if there was enough fuel remaining.
- Sea Hurricane Mk Ib - Hurricane with catapult spools, pilots head rest, naval radio and arrestor hook for landing on an aircraft carrier.
- Hurricane Mk I - The basic Hurricane was also used for shore based training from FAA land bases, equipped with a naval radio. Like Sea Hurricane`s, these aircraft were usually painted in the Temperate Sea Scheme camouflage.
Special thanks to Tony O'Toole for help with colour schemes.
- Subscribe to the newsletter with insider info on Arma Hobby kits
- Do not miss the kit's release and promotion for Arma Hobby's friends: