70038 P-51 B/C Mustang™ Expert Set!
- Manufacturer: Arma Hobby
Delivery time: 1-3 days
- Type: aeroplane kit
- Medium: plastic
- Scale: 1/72
- Remarks: Produced under license from Boeing. Boeing, P-51 Mustang and the distinctive Boeing logos, product markings and trade dress are trademarks of The Boeing Company.
- Net Price: €21.61 €26.58
P-51 B/C Mustang plastic kit 1/72 scale. New moulds, Boeing licence.
Buy together to pay less
1/72 scale plastic model kit of the P-51 B/C Mustang fighter, new tools, expert set with accessories.
Kit features parts needed to build 1/72 scale miniature of following variants: P-51 B/C, Mustang Mk III and F6C.
- plastic parts
- photo etched parts
- decal with 6 marking options (4x USAAF 2x RAF)
- masks for canopy and wheels
Markings options included in the kit:
- P-51B-5-NA Mustang, 43-6315/AJ-A, "Ding Hao", pilot: Maj. James H. Howard MH, 356th Fighter Squadron, 354th Fighter Group, Boxted UK, April 1944.
- P-51C-11-NT Mustang, 44-10816/278, "Evalina", pilot: 1st Lt. Oliver E. Strawbridge, 26th Fighter Squadron, 51st Fighter Group, China, January 1945. Kit also includes Japanese markings of the captured aeroplane in 1945 (pilot Maj. Yasuhiko Kuroe).
- Mustang III, KH516/WC-F, pilot: Kpt. Jerzy Mencel DFC, 309 Squadron Polish Air Force, shot down Me-262 jet fighter on 9 April 1945.
- F-6C-1-NT Mustang, 42-03213/IX-H, "Azel"/"Boomerang", 162nd Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 10th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, Chalgrove UK. Aeroplane flown by 2nd Lt. Stanley F.H. Newman during D-Day preparations in Spring 1944.
- Mustang III, FB244/CV-V, 3 Squadron RAAF, Fano in Italy, April 1944. Aeroplane flown by several pilots mainly in ground support role.
- P-51C-10-NT Mustang, 43-25045/C3-W, "Snookie", pilot: Lt. Edward T. Pawlak, 382nd Fighter Squadron, 363rd Fighter Group, France, July 1944.
More information about the kit
Articles about kit content, 3D renders and historical research of colour options are available on the armahobbynews website link.
Produced under license from Boeing. Boeing, P-51 Mustang and the distinctive Boeing logos, product markings and trade dress are trademarks of The Boeing Company.
The North American™ P-51B/C Mustang™ History
Soon after the commencement of the aerial offensive against the Third Reich it became apparent that the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) needed a reliable, low-cost and long-range fighter that would be able to accompany the bombers to their targets at high altitude. The first versions of the P-51/P-51A Mustang, equipped with an Allison engine, performed capably in the fighter and reconnaissance role when operating at lower altitudes, however the lack of a second engine compressor stage made it impossible to achieve satisfactory performance at heights in excess of 4,500 metres. To complicate matters, the P-47 fighter was limited by its range, while the P-38 was not available in sufficient numbers. A solution to the problem was found by fitting the P-51A with the British Rolls-Royce Merlin 66 engine (used in the Spitfire IX/XVI). Importantly, this power plant had a two-stage compressor and was already being manufactured in the United States under licence by Packard with the designation V-1650. The version of the aeroplane thus developed – the P-51B Mustang – was easily capable of flying from England to Berlin as an escort on daytime bombing raids.
The new model of the Mustang was mass-produced at the North American plant in California as the P-51B-NA, and in Texas as the P-51C-NT. The production versions differed in small details that were introduced as the design was developed, for example an additional fuel tank placed behind the cockpit, or a stabilizing fin located in front of the vertical stabilizer. More than two hundred of the aircraft were converted to the photoreconnaissance F-6C version by the installation of cameras in the fuselage to the rear of the cockpit. In total, 3,738 B and C Mustangs were built. Of these, 900 were handed over to the RAF, the Polish Air Forces in Great Britain, the RAAF, the RACF and the Free French, who all operated them as the Mustang Mk III. Modifications made by the British included an improved cockpit canopy, which was known as the Malcolm hood and was also implemented in American P-51As and B/Cs, anti-glare panels behind the exhaust pipes, and slats at the openings of the dust filter.
The P-51B/C was armed with four 12,7 mm wing-mounted machine guns, while underwing pylons allowed it carry 250- and 500-pound bombs, as well as aluminium or paper fuel tanks with a capacity of 75 and 108 gallons, respectively.
The P-51B/C versions of the Mustang entered service in the European Theatre of Operations towards the end of 1943, and went on to play a key role in breaking down the resistance of the Luftwaffe’s fighter arm – the Jagdverbände – throughout 1944. They were also used in the Mediterranean Theatre of Operations and in the Burma and China campaigns. Apart from providing escort cover, Mustangs flew ground support missions and were actively involved in combating the V-1 rockets. From mid-1944, they were gradually replaced with a still newer version, the P-51D/K.